Saturday, August 4, 2018

President said ‘fake news’ misreported and that he was 15 minutes early despite images of the monarch standing alone, waiting - Guardian

Trump claims he was early to meet the 'fantastic' Queen, not late
President said ‘fake news’ misreported and that he was 15 minutes early despite images of the monarch standing alone, waiting

Adam Gabbatt in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania

 @adamgabbatt
Sat 4 Aug 2018 00.56 AEST Last modified on Sat 4 Aug 2018 03.50 AEST
ump: ‘I was about 15 minutes early and I’m waiting with my wife and that’s fine. Hey, it’s the Queen, right? We can wait. But I’m a little early.’
 Donald Trump: ‘I was about 15 minutes early and I’m waiting with my wife and that’s fine. Hey, it’s the Queen, right? We can wait. But I’m a little early.’

Many enduring images came from Donald Trump’s visit to the UK last month. There was the huge blimp baby, the streets full of protesters, Trump’s views on Brexit – and the footage of the Queen appearing to check her watch as she waited for the US president to arrive.

Trump leaves London after wreaking diplomatic destruction

The image of the Queen standing alone on a stage as she waited to be presented to Trump captured the imagination of many. Reports emerged that Trump had turned up late, enhancing the the notion that his was a gaffe-filled visit.

But everyone was wrong, Trump claimed at a rally in Pennsylvania on Thursday night. He was actually early, and the “fake news” is to blame.

Trump said: “I was asked to have tea with the Queen, who is incredible, by the way. Incredible. I landed, [and] I’m on the ground, and I’m waiting with the King’s and the Queen’s Guards, wonderful people. I’m waiting.

“I was about 15 minutes early and I’m waiting with my wife and that’s fine. Hey, it’s the Queen, right? We can wait. But I’m a little early.”

 'Fake, fake, disgusting news': Trump launches new broadside against media - video
And his account was backed up on Friday by Valentine Low of the Times, who attended the event at Windsor Castle. “The shock is that he is right,” tweeted Low. “He didn’t keep the Queen waiting. In fact, he was early, and had to wait before going up to Windsor Castle.”

On Thursday, Trump, who, according to the Washington Post, has made 4,229 false or misleading claims, told the rally that after waiting he and the first lady, Melania Trump, enjoyed tea with the Queen, who he described as “fantastic”.



1 comment:

  1. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/03/trump-queen-elizabeth-meeting-late?CMP=twt_gu

    ReplyDelete